History

Brødrene Hukkelberg As (Hukkelberg Brothers) was formed in 1938 by three brothers, Ole, Ivar and Magnar Hukkelberg on the island of Gossen on Norway's West Coast.

Since its beginnings, the Company has remained in family ownership and still occupies the same site today.

Below is a concise history of the yard and business.

 


1938

 

Company founded. In those days and during the war years, the site consisted of a slip-way, jetty and two workshops. The slip-way still exists today, as do the original workshops.  


1940's & 50's

 

Activities in the yard around this time revolved mainly around building wooden ships. In 1952, the company built the first ever stern trawler in Norway "Pandulus".


1958

 

An important year in the history of Norwegian Shipbuilding. Brödr. Hukkelberg was the first yard to begin aluminium welding.

 


1976

 

Saw a huge expansion at the yard with a major land reclamation to increase the area, yard crane and new "welding" hall erected.

 


1987

Capacity at the yard increases with the purchase

of a 1100 ton floating dry dock


1990

 

Production of High Speed Vessels for SAR at the yard - a product which through constant development is still central to our activities.

 


2000

 

Dedicated Sales and Service Department created for the increasing number of enquiries for marine parts, not only from customers at the yard but from further afield. 

 


2002

 

Due to the steady increase in production of high-speed boats, welding hall extended, stores re-located to a new building and a hall for stocking steel/aluminium, plasma cutting and part production created.

 


2006

 

In a huge technological step forward, Hukkelberg invests in a programme of robot aluminium welding with the purchase of the largest welding gantry in Scandinavia

 


2008

 

Latest building development. Erection of an Assembly Hall complete with under-floor heating. Extention to existing stores to accommodate storage for the ever-expanding Oil / Gas and Marine Products activities.

Design: Brödr. Hukkelberg / CMS: EKH.no